top of page

Hai Duong province: Winter 2022-2023 Carrots Yield Predicted to Reach over 63,000 Tons

Updated: Aug 29, 2023

This year, the whole province of Hai Duong has planted 1,272 hectares of carrots, mainly in Cam Giang district (530ha), Nam Sach (432ha), Chi Linh town (209)ha, the rest are planted scatteredly in riverbanks in Thanh Ha, Ninh Giang, Tu Ky, Thanh Mien and Hai Duong city districts. Most of these carrots are purchased and preliminarily processed in Cam Giang district to serve export markets such as Korea, Japan, Thailand, the Middle East, and the EU.


Hai Duong province: Winter 2022-2023 Carrots Yield Predicted to Reach over 63,000 Tons
Hai Duong province: Winter 2022-2023 Carrots Yield Predicted to Reach over 63,000 Tons

For this winter season, the average carrot yield is estimated at 495.8 kilograms per hectare, with a total production of over 63,000 tons, an increase of approximately 3,000 tons compared to the previous year. Currently, nearly 600 hectares of carrot crops have been harvested, accounting for around 45% of the total cultivated area. In terms of consumption, it is projected that nearly 90% of the carrot production will be processed and cold-stored for export to South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Middle Eastern countries, while the remaining 10% will be consumed domestically as fresh carrots, with a small portion being dried for food processing.


Currently, there are 17 carrot processing facilities in the province, mainly engaged in cold storage and processing for export, such as Ameii Vietnam Joint Stock Company, Hung Viet Co., Ltd., Tan Huong Co., Ltd., Duc Chinh Cooperative, and Tan Minh Duc Cooperative.


This year, Hai Duong's carrot production has increased compared to the previous season. To ensure product quality, the agricultural sector has directed relevant units to effectively carry out the classification of planting areas and control pesticide residues, as well as to prevent and control harmful insects. Enterprises involved in purchasing, sorting, and packaging are required to ensure the quality of Hai Duong carrot brand, especially for export shipments.


South Korea issued a warning about harmful nematodes affecting imported root crops , which include carrots in Hai Duong province.


Nematodes damage crops in carrots
Nematodes damage crops in carrots

At the end of 2022, South Korea issued a warning about harmful nematodes affecting imported root crops and imposed restrictions on certain agricultural products entering the country. However, with strict control measures in place to manage nematode species that can be detrimental to carrots in cultivation areas, the situation has been closely monitored. Furthermore, following negotiations between the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and South Korea, starting from December 21, 2022, South Korea officially lifted the ban on the import of certain agricultural products from Vietnam, including carrots. The lifting of the ban at the beginning of the harvest season brought positive news to carrot-growing regions, especially the concentrated cultivation areas in Hai Duong province.


9 South Korean companies have conducted surveys and signed contracts to secure the supply of winter-spring 2022-2023 carrot products. The Korean market prefers carrots that are large in size, weighing between 400g to 500g, and 80% of this type of carrot will be exported to South Korea..


Not only in South Korea, but importing countries also have a particular concern for food safety. In 2020, a carrot export company to Japan was rejected due to exceeding the permitted threshold of "hexaconazole" residue.


South Korea issued a warning about harmful nematodes affecting imported root crops , which include carrots.
South Korea issued a warning about harmful nematodes affecting imported root crops , which include carrots.
Ms. Luong Thi Kiem, Deputy Director of the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Hai Duong province, stated that from the beginning of the production season, the department has identified carrots as the main crop, providing high income for farmers. "The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Hai Duong has been working with carrot export companies, cooperatives, and particularly studying the import markets of Hai Duong province in order to provide better production guidance," Ms. Kiem said.


13 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page